I had yet another encounter with a homeless man today. One of three, actually. The first was with a man who lives in our neighborhood that is on the street just before you get to Georgetown. He always mutters when I walk past him. He lunged at me one day while I was walking Ethan, and laughed absurdly at my reaction. The second was a man in the elevator on the Metro. I was with Matthew and Ethan and another man. The elevator was very tight, and small. The man was obviously terrified of elevators and was shaking and covering his face. He was sort of cowering into me, as I happened to be in the corner. Maybe it was out of nervousness, or motherliness. But as we reached the top, I offered an "It'll be okay, we are almost there." He continued uttering unintelligible words and breathing heavily. It was horribly tense. After we got out, Matthew and the other guy said they were both ready to "get him" if he were to do anything to Ethan or I. It is nice to know I am protected with Matthew.
The third incident was at our favorite Mediterranean restaurant in DC called Fresh Med. We go there every saturday and even know the owner by name. What can I say...we really like the food. There was a homeless man waiting for his food. We had seen him before outside of the restaurant and Matthew even purchased him some food once. He is an amputee and in a wheelchair. He didn't hear that his food was ready, and so I went up and got it for him. You know, just trying to be nice. When I brought it over to him, he asked me if I worked there. I said no, and he completely flipped out. He said that I had contaminated his food and that I shouldn't be serving him. He got his money back, and was screaming obscenities at the owner and shooting me furious looks as he stormed out. There was obviously something a little off with him. I guess that is what you get living in a big city though.
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It is amazing that you keep reaching out with compassion even when you have had bad experiences. I think that in general when people have bad experiences with the homeless or any other group of people they tend to group them all together and give up on trying to understand them. It takes a special person not to do that. Keep up the good work! (but don't let them touch that cute baby!)
Wow. I wouldn't be able to handle any of those situations very well. You are an awesome person.
I guess that is why I live in a small town and only leave my house when necessary. :)
Your experiences with the homeless would make me a bit scared!
Alisha, this is Sara (Scott)! I have missed you so much and have often wondered what in the world you are doing. So, what have you been doing? Obviously raising the cutest little baby is something amazingly wonderful that you have been busy with. Why are you guys in Virginia? Are you there permanently? How is the rest of your family? Are you still singing? Well, if this is sounding somewhat like an interview, that's because it is...jk I just feel like I've found a lost friend and I'm so excited to find out about what you've been up to. Well, good thing for things like facebook and blogs to keep in touch. Hopefully you don't mind if I add you to my list of favorite blogs. Hope all is well and hope to hear from you soon. luv Sara
I'm reading "Suffering into Joy"-by Mother Teresa you remind me of her. Loving and reaching out to everyone-yet wise enough to keep safe:) I told you about my SL downtown experience didn't I, yea um yea :)
Post a Comment