Friday, March 9, 2012

New tactics

While Sharon was here, she helped me make a sticker chart for Ethan. When he gets 30 stickers, he gets a reward. The rewards aren't huge, or expensive, but create great incentive to do good things. The chart has things on it like: get dressed, brush your teeth, make Nick happy, use your words, etc. He will do 10 nice things for Nick in one day just for more stickers....and I will completely reward that behavior! It has worked SO well! Any time he misbehaves by throwing a fit, making Nick cry, not obeying Matthew and I, etc....he gets an X. After 10 X's I put up his scooter for a week. He caught on to that VERY quickly, and has had very few.
Another thing we tried is having a special place for him to read and have his own space. It isn't easy suddenly having a little brother who fights back and takes toys from you. So we made a little corner for him in his room.

Matthew's brother's family came and visited us from Boston last week too. They brought this chair with them for Ethan. It was Matthew's Grandmother's when she was a child, and has been passed through the family to the grandchildren. Sharon brought him a little cd player with headphones, and we got a bunch of books on CD at the library. There is a little beep to tell you when to turn the page. He will sit in his room with the door closed and quietly listen to his books for 20-30 minutes. I think this is a great alternative to watching a movie or tv and I am so glad that he likes his little corner!:)

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Awesome idea! I should give Katie and Elayna their own little space. Sharing a room can be hard.