Friday, February 20, 2009

Wait...am I Russian?

Since living in DC, so many people have asked me if I am Russian that I have lost count. It doesn't even surprise me anymore. Especially people from that country. They will start talking to me in russian, giving me encouraging smiles, excited to meet a fellow Russian. When it becomes clear that I cannot undertand them, my face is apologetic, theirs is disappointed. We go our separate ways.

Some random person in the elevator: "So, where are you from?"

Me: America. (I used to say Utah, but a lot of people are international in my building and don't know what that place is)

RP: Oh, (sounding disappointed) I thought you were from Russia because of your accent.

Me: (in my head) "Wha....?" (out loud) "Oh, sorry (wait, why am I apologizing?!) lot's of people think that. Uh, this is my floor..."


I mean, what does a russian person look like, anyways? Should I be flattered? I am only friends with one girl who is russian, and she and her friend are pretty. So I guess I will take it as a compliment.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

way to look at it! I would take it as a compliment too. But, too funny!

Jessica F. said...

I served my mission in Russia and trust me, it is a compliment, Russian girls are skinny and beautiful!!!

Littleshortstacks said...

You're hilarious. I've definitely seen many beautiful Russians so I'd for sure take it as a compliment.
What's funny is that people who know the US well would laugh if you were to tell them you're from Utah...what an exotic place! :-) Utah is the new Russia.

Andrea Hatch said...

That is so weird! I wouldn't know what a Russian girl looked like either... But since you're gorgeous, I'm assuming all Russian girls are gorgeous too since everyone thinks that you are one.

Work it, girl!