Saturday, March 5, 2011

7 years

In Kaui on our honeymoon in 2004
I cannot believe it has already been 7 years! This is us after our anniversary dinner.

A friend watched the boys for us and I met Matthew downtown for dinner at a crepe place. These were our dessert crepes filled with perfect raspberries and drizzled with nutella and fresh whipped cream. I can't begin to describe how amazing they were!



I thought it would be fun to reminisce about our meeting, so here it is:


The meeting of Matthew and Alisha:


I was at Utah State University, just months into my Junior year. I went to a concert on campus by myself, but was meeting a friend there. I was standing off to the side in the TSC (Taggart Student Center) and was approached by two guys. The more handsome guy in the suit (Matthew) said "Hi, my name is Matthew. What is yours?" I was so surprised and intrigued by his self-confidence that I found myself accepting his invitation and following he and his friend back to sit with their friends and watch the rest of the concert.


At the end of the concert, I definitely knew I wanted to hang out with Matthew more. I said good-bye to him, and was a little surprised he didn't ask for my number. This was the smartest thing Matthew could have done that night, though he didn't even know it. The last 6 or 7 guys I had dated had been extremely forward with me and tried to progress the relationship faster than I wanted to. Matthew presented a bit of a challenge, and I couldn't resist.


I saw him a couple days later on the quad, completely covered in green jell-o. There was a baby tub full of liquid jell-o, and a long strip of visquine on the grass. People were rolling themselves in the jell-o and then running and sliding on the visquine. I yelled to him, and said "Hey, it is Matthew, right?" He had forgotten my name, and I was embarrassed that I had remembered his (sidenote though...I am really really good at remembering names). He asked me if I wanted to join he and his friends, and I said "absolultely". We slid for a really long time, and then we walked back to his house to wash some of the jell-o out of my eyes because they were burning and watering. After we washed up a bit, he asked me out that night and the courtship began.



We started dating seriously for months and then I broke up with him because I got scared. That night I remember I was crying in my bed for hours. I called my Mom at 2 am and told her I had made the biggest mistake of my life. We decided to take a break for a week and decide what we wanted to do. We got back together (obviously) and were engaged shortly after.


Marriage with Matthew has been amazing. I have never known anyone like him, not even close. I am so blessed to be married to such a wonderful, fun, and ambitious person. I always secretly thought that marriage would get worse as time progressed. Not on purpose, just because I was single and didn't get it. Things just keep getting better and better. I love sharing my life with you Matthew!

8 comments:

Jessica F. said...

Congrats to 7! You two make a darling couple. I loved reading your story.

Can we get together soon? It has been WAY TOO LONG!

Emily Hamilton said...

Happy Anniversary!! You two are so great. I luv the story of when you met.
Go AGGIES!

Lisa said...

Happy happy anniversary to you!!! We adore you both (you'll just never know how much!) ...and your babies are cute too. Much love!!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I loved hearing about how you met. What a fun story! The jello adds an especially cute touch. Btw, I'd be more than happy to watch your cute boys ANY time so that you guys can celebrate!

Marissa said...

Marriage is great, isn't it? Thanks for the refresher on your story. I'd forgotten how you had met.

Littleshortstacks said...

Congrats my friend! You two are perfect for each other!
I miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing this story. It takes me back to the good ole no name townhouses. You two are perfect for each other. I have to admit I was a little jealous of your courtship, it seemed so perfect. Luckily I met my matthew the next year!

Andrea Hatch said...

Omigosh, this is the best post ever. I LOVE your story of how you met!!! I kept thinking, "Of course they met this way." It was perfect (and hilarious). You two are amazing and are obviously so in love.

AND you make the cutest boys ever!!!