We were at the park Monday afternoon and Ethan tripped and fell on his shoulder. He started crying immediately, which was sort of surprising, because he falls a LOT, and never cries. I still sort of thought he was overreacting, because I couldn't even see where he could have gotten hurt. He said through his tears that he really wanted to swing. When I picked him up underneath his arms to put him in the swing, he screamed in pain, and so we left the park. We got home, and I called 911, not because I felt it was an emergency, but because I just needed basic instructions on where to take him. I described to them that his pain was in his shoulder, and they suggested that I don't move him and have an ambulance come and pick us up. I dropped of Nicholas at a neighbors house, and we waited for the ambulance. He was still sobbing at this time, and they had a hard time getting him out of the car. He thought the ambulance ride was pretty cool, but he really didn't like having his shirt cut off. Later, when I showed him his shirt he said "I just don't need that...it is too broken". He fell asleep in the ambulance, and I was starting to doubt if he was even hurt and maybe was just tired.
At the hospital:
In the ER, they took x-rays. When we moved him from his bed to the x-ray table, I felt more assured that he was hurt, because he was crying out in pain again. While we waited for the results, he slept in my lap, which he has never done before. It was so sweet. They discovered that he had a broken collar bone, and sent him home in a sling.
How he is now:
You would absolutely not know that this boy has a broken bone, except for the sling. He still uses his arm, and really only has cried a couple times when he forgets that he is hurt, or when he is trying to get comfortable to go to sleep. He should be all healed up in 3 to 4 weeks. He was so brave, we are proud of our little broken man!

5 comments:
Oh, poor Ethan! What a tough, brave little guy! That would be so scary as a Mom to not know what was causing the pain. It sounds like you handled it really well. I'm glad that he seems to be recovering well!
Poor little lamb! That is so sad. We NEED to see you guys and soon!
Poor little Ethan! He is so brave. Glad he is doing better. You handled that really well Alisha. Get better soon Ethan!
I'm glad he is doing better. Poor kid.
Poor kid! Do you remember how old you you were when you broke yours?
Post a Comment