- Ethan playing in the sand
- Child (6 yrs old) slowly dumping a bucket of sand over Ethan's head
- Ethan crying
- Me, calmly taking the bucket from the child and saying: "you will not put sand on my child".
- Child goes to do it again, looks at me first, I give him a stern look and shake my head...and he stops.
- Ethan playing under the slides
- Child (3yrs old) starts punching Ethan in the shoulders and chest
- Ethan crying
- Me pulling the child away by the arm(sort of forcefully, imagine seeing your child pummelled) and saying very closely to his face: "you do not hit my child".
- Child goes running to his mother and looks at me with a terrified look as he clutches his mothers skirt.
Am I allowed to do this? I have never considered myself super strict or overprotective. But after reading this, I think I am! I am a very calm and relaxed with Ethan, and try not to let little things bother me. But older kids hurting smaller kids is a big deal, right?!!

7 comments:
I probably would have done the same thing. Mother bear comes out when your young ones are getting hurt. Whether it is the right thing to do or not, I bet most moms would have reacted about the same
You are totally allowed to do that! Where are their moms??? I would have done the EXACT same thing in both of those situations.
You have to protect the little ones. some bigger kids just are bullies--I have to watch mine like a hawk. Indeed, any mother would have done the same if it were her child.
If you don't stick up for your kid, who is going to?!? You were so in the right!
I've actually done and said the exact thing when someone hit Katie when she was a about a year old. I kinda felt bad, but then decided I would rather feel bad than have my child hurt and bullied.
Katie now sticks up for herself most times, so it isn't as big a deal.
I LOVE your entries. You are too cute and funny. I'm the same way...actually I'm much worse and I don't have kids. I am like this with my siblings. It usually ends up in a yelling match between me and the mom of the kid though. Wow, I'm so Christlike huh?
That's exactly what you should have done! Good for you for sticking up for little Ethan!
Post a Comment