Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Weekend

This weekend we started with a breakfast and flag raising ceremony at our church. There was a bike parade, but because Ethan doesn't have a bike yet, he just ran around with the bikes:) Actually, we ended up losing Ethan twice on Saturday. While we were getting ready to leave in the morning, Ethan opened our patio door and ran outside, up the stairs, and was standing on the edge of the parking lot. I don't think he would have gone into the street, but it was scary. He got into a lot of trouble, and we had a long talk with him about why he shouldn't do that. The second time we lost him was at the church. He was in the cultural hall (a big gym) while we were eating breakfast. He finished early and was running around with his friends. Suddenly, we looked around, and he was gone. We ran all over the church, and outside. It was probably about 7 minutes that he was gone. I came back inside, almost crying, and Matthew was holding him up above his head for me to see as I came back in the cultural hall. He had been in there the whole time, but was just on the floor with his friends. We got to have our second talk of the day about staying where we could see him, and he could see us at all times. Worst feeling EVER.

Sunday night our friends had us over for dinner and fireworks. These three are close in age, and had a great time with fireworks, and wrestling after dinner.
Ethan and Lucy are just a month apart

Monday morning I cut Ethan's hair. It grows SOOO quickly, and he was burning up from all the extra hair.


Monday night we had some neighbors over for dessert and more fireworks. While we were lighting them, some of our other neighbors came over to watch. I like how this picture shows the diversity of our neighborhood. These children are from Ethiopia, Pakistan, and Guatemala. One of the children brought an illegal firework over and asked Matthew to light it. He refused, and then he lit it on one of our friends sparklers. It went off, scared everyone, and could have been really dangerous. We didn't even know he had lit it until it went off. Matthew berated them about setting it off by all the children, especially the small ones, and sent them to the park.

Ethan watching Matthew set off crackling balls. His hair isn't super short, but it really needed a cut.

Running with Matthew on our street with sparklers.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

I hate the feeling that you might have lost your child. It is definitely the worst! I'm glad you found him. :)

Oh, I miss the sparklers! The only fireworks I saw this year were on TV. They aren't quite the same.

Andrea Hatch said...

Omigosh, I HATE the feeling when I can't find Ness. I'm glad he was ok! And I'm glad Matthew told off your neighbor for the illegal firework!