Friday, September 24, 2010

New job

Matthew started his new job this Monday. We will miss JSI so much! Having Matthew's office right across the street meant frequent visits. 6 months after Ethan was born I certified to teach Pilates and JSI hired me as a teacher (they offer Yoga and Pilates to their employees during lunch and after work). I was able to get to know many of the staff members better this way, and we will miss seeing everyone! I can't believe we don't have a tie to Rosslyn anymore- it will feel strange to not have a reason to go there.

Matthew's new company is in downtown D.C., and about 4 city blocks away from the White House. He takes the metro, and we are so grateful for public transit. The bus and metro systems here are so helpful...metro better (faster) than bus though. He still gets home early enough that we can eat dinner together and spend time with Ethan and Nicholas before bedtime at 7pm. He is working for a Microfinance firm, and is very excited. He has been wanting to do this type of work since we moved here in 2005. Microfinance, or microcredit is giving small loans with minimal interest to people in the developing world. These loans could go to small business owners, entrepreneurs, or farmers. This creates independance from the government, benefits the economy, and the money that was loaned is paid back and can be used to finance others.

I am so proud of Matthew for working so hard to be where he is now. Last night Ethan got sick and threw up all over his bed. It was 2 am, and I was brushing Ethan's teeth while watching Matthew scrub vomit off of Ethan's bedspread in the tub. We had both already been up with Nicko, and it could have been a frustrating night. But it wasn't. I could have been thinking, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is my life now." But I didn't. All I could think about was how glad I am to be doing this with Matthew. He is so loving and supporting to me, and kind, patient, and fun with the boys. Life is tiring and difficult sometimes, but it doesn't seem like work with the 3 loves of my life.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Matthew's new job sounds so cool. I recently read an article about a microfinance organization in Africa, and it opened my eyes to what a blessing a simple loan could be to people. Here we tend to see all debt as a bad thing, but it's just another example of how much we take for granted. That's great that he'll be a part of serving people and helping them toward greater independence.

Anonymous said...

I agree without husbands things would be so much harder!

Preethi said...

Congratulations on the new job! For which firm is he working? I'd love to chat with him more about it sometime.

Marissa said...

I'm so glad you are happy. Matthew's job sounds really amazing. He's really helping people, even more than he was before.