Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ethan's 4th birthday

Just had to add these. He is outside in December at 7:30 in his pajamas. He really loves his scooter:)
All the school kids know him now, and they weren't at all surprised by his attire. It is WAY better than being his usual naked or just in underwear (yes, even in winter).
This year Ethan wanted everything blue....last year it was green. He is more into his Dad's favorite color than mine now:(
Still into trains though. He told me he wanted a blue cake with trains on the top. Easy enough:)
The big thing he got for his birthday this year was a scooter. It is kind of the thing to have in our neighborhood. It stays in the 60's until the end of December, so he still has a month or so to ride it outside before it gets cold.
Here he is with his friend, Giselle. He is borrowing our neighbors scooter in this picture (from a month or so ago) but his new one is Lightning McQueen. He has been riding it NON-STOP since Saturday!

On Ethan’s 4th birthday I heard him come downstairs after I had put him to bed. All day we had been talking about the things he could do now that he was all grown up. Put on his shoes, get dressed by himself, share with Nick, etc. This was the conversation that followed:

Ethan: Mom, I just don’t want to be all grown up.

Me: Why not?

Ethan: Because I just don’t want to be grown up. I just want to be small, like a baby, like Kick (his nickname for Nicholas).

Me: But I think you are the perfect Ethan size. Plus, there are lots of things we can do together that I can’t do with a baby.

Ethan: Like what?

Me: We can paint, draw, cut paper, play with play dough, play with your scooter…

Ethan: Oh, that’s right. I don’t want to be a baby. I just don’t want to be grown up either though.

Me: Well, you will always just be the perfect Ethan size that I will love no matter what.

Ethan: Okay Mommy (smile). I think you are the perfect grown up size too.

Me: Thanks Eth. Let’s go back to bed.



3 comments:

Preethi said...

Adorable - happy birthday, Ethan!

preethi
lace, etc.

The Hodsons said...

Wow 4!! Happy Birthday! Sorry he doesn't like green anymore :(

Marissa said...

I love "listening" to stuff Ethan says. He is so cute!
And you are such a good Mom to teach him that he will always be the right size.