Friday, September 18, 2009

Totally feeling sorry for myself!

Okay, so it is 7:00pm on a Friday night. Ethan is asleep, Matthew is at work doing homework, AND he has Saturday class this semester. I am feeling like our apartment is really small, and that the weather outside it perfect. I am listening to people just starting to go out, and wishing I was with them. I am dreading the upcoming weeks when this becomes my life again. So I started making a list of all the things about this stage of my life that I love.
Enjoy: We have access to one million cool destinations to see together, when there is time.
The guy who is actually working full time, and doing homework and going to school at night (sometimes well into the night) never complains, and compartmentalizes SO well. Also, work is across the street, and school is one metro stop away. That means we get to see him literally hours more a day than if he had to commute.

There are many women in my same situation in our church congregation. Many of them have young children, and their husbands are in Law or Medical school (the majority in Law I think). They are a great network and support to me. I am with them all throughout the week, and they have become like family. We have dinners together, and do babysitting swapping. Actually, I think half of these girls have moved now. Very transient, but getting to know the new girls that moved in this fall:)

Ethan has such great friends to keep him company when all he wants to do is play cars.


....or drive in tractors and cars.

Ethan is a great companion to me, and lets me dress him up as a monkey, just because.

This is THE most fulfilling time in my life when I can stay home and raise Ethan. I am grateful for this opportunity, and how it enriches my life. I see Matthew working so hard for our family, and I wish there were more I could do. But, I can contribue a happy child (most of the time), clean house, warm meals, and a relaxed, peaceful home. I do feel a little guilty for complaining when I can stay home and read a book tonight, and he has to do homework though. Do you still feel sorry for me? Just a little? Hope not:)
P.S.- Matthew graduates in December, FOREVER!!!!

5 comments:

stephanie said...

As I have read your blog,I have found that sometimes I am jealous of your situation. you get to experience so many cool things and see so many places I have always wanted to go. But other times I am sad for you because you are away from family and friends. So I think it is ok to feel sorry for yourself once in a while. I would too. Congratulations on hubby being done soon. And keep posting all your cool experiences.

Jessica F. said...

Just to let you know I have felt that same way so many times. The best thing for me is to do exactly what you just did. We really are so lucky to be home with our babies. You are a great friend to so many people. I don't like going more than a few days without seeing your sweet smiling face!

Rachelle said...

Hang in there--the last bit is so hard. David was so stressed the last 6 months of his PHD, when he started laughing and teasing me again I realized how stressed and crazy it had been. Watch some girly movies and dig out your favorite books. You'll make it through those long evenings alone. And enjoy some of them.

Marissa said...

The best times of our lives, and it is so hard to stay focused on the positive! So many times I have felt this way.

Amanda said...

I love how you looked at the positive, you Pollyanna, you. :) It made me look at the positive in my life too! I even figured out that waking up with my kids in the middle of the night is just another way of getting some exercise in. :) Love you Champ!