Thursday, January 28, 2010

If you can watch 2 children at once, you rock!!

Let me preface this post with a disclaimer:

I have absolutely nothing against people who use nannys or au pairs. I think they are wonderful, loving, and do a great job with children. I also think that if you can afford the luxury of having a nanny AND staying home, you should do it! Why not? The children get a lot of individual attention, and the mom gets a break.

During my time staying home with Ethan, I come across many more nannys at the park than mothers or fathers. I can never make the assumption that someone is the parent, because I am almost always wrong. My opinion on daycare, nannys, etc., is that if the mother does what makes her happy, then the family is almost always better off. This may include working full-time, part-time, or not at all. I also realize that working may be a necessity for some families and I am grateful to be able to stay home.


Here is my point though. I often see mothers AND nannys at parks, library, grocery stores, etc. This is always surprising to me, because the mother or nanny usually seem overwhelmed watching the one or two children at once. I also ofter hear one the mother say, "wow, I have no idea what I would do if you weren't here!!" That being said, if you have more than one child (the more you have, and don't have help with....the more impressive) and you watch them full-time during the day, you should be proud.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Yeah, I know I'm awesome. :) Just kidding.

The trick is to train the older sibling to be the nanny for the younger one. Works like a charm.

Amanda said...

Thank you! You made my day!

Marissa said...

I would love a nanny! That would be great!