Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sorry, still not Russian

Okay, so since I last posted about EVERYONE thinking I am Russian, at LEAST 5 people have asked me again. Today was a little different, and way more interesting than my past conversations.

While waiting in line at the Post Office:

Nice man from Thailand, with tons of letters: (to me) Oh, hello! You're a Russian!

Me: No, sorry....I get that all the time.

Man: Oh, well you at least know people from Russia, right?

Me: (ummmm, what difference does that make?) Uh, yeah. I know a couple people. (Do Matthew's co-workers count?!)

Man: You MUST speak Russian.

Me: Sorry.

Man: (speaking in phrase in Russian, and then translating into English) It is a nice day outside.

Me: (super confused at this point) I'm sorry, what?

Man: (repeats Russian phrase followed with an English translation) I love the Holiday Season.

Me: (ignoring the fact that he is trying to teach me Russian) Yes, me too.


Okay, this went on for some time, with awkward pauses, and obvious disappointment on his part that I wasn't picking up on Russian yet. It FINALLY ended when it was his turn to mail his letters.

Man: Well, you really should check and see if you have any Russian ancestry.

Me: Will do.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Oh my gosh! That's absolutely hilarious! Ha ha ha!

The Hodsons said...

This made me laugh...out loud!!

Preethi said...

Alisha, I'm so glad you friended me, especially so I could read this post. I was laughing so hard at this...so ridiculous! Also, randomly, I'm totally with you on not loving the Twilight series, but really enjoying the 3rd book. :)