Sunday, August 8, 2010

Farmers Market and French Cuisine

Part of our new Saturday morning routine has been going to our local farmers market. I just finished Barbara Kingsolvers book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", and I have been obsessed with farmers markets and growing a garden- though that one will have to wait.
The market is right next to the city center, and is gorgeous! We go and sit on these benches and let Ethan run around in the grass and trees while we snack on the fruit. I found some granny smith apples that are just like the ones on my Uncle Jon's tree. Made me a little home-sick. But we all loved them!We go and stock up on some of the fruits and vegetables that we use during the week. We are also going to start buying free-range eggs and meat (yes, I still feed Matthew meat) and sometimes freshly baked bread. I have a hard time making this last a full week though!! I feel so trendy and chic with the bag we brought from home, perusing the local produce, and hefting it back home. I keep telling Matthew we need to get a wicker basket to carry the food in, just to look French.
Playing at the park by the market.

A cool shed full of antique tools. This one takes the kernals of corn off the cob, and tosses the cob off to the side.

The corn falls into here, you scoop it up, and....

...grind it up in this machine to feed to chickens and pigs, or in our case- birds!!

There was a sign above this that said "Weigh your piggies here, kids free". Cute little chair.

We met with our friend Dara at Mon ami Gabi in Bethesda. I think it is our new favorite French restaurant. Since I have been on an organic, local obsession from the book, I got the farmers market vegetable platter. I know it looks sort of boring, and maybe bland. But everything tasted so fresh, crisp, and healthy. Delicious!!

Here are Dara and Matthew and I (ugh, I am doing that gross thing with my neck again...) in front of the restaurant. We will miss Dara when she goes back to England!!:(


My friend Kathryn watched Ethan for us so we could have a nice relaxing evening, and it was great. We actually got two dates this weekend. Friday night our friend Tisha, who is due at the same time as me, came and watched Ethan. We went to one of Matthew's friends from Grad school and played Mario Kart and Rockband on the Wii. We are getting so good:) We are trying to make the most of our time before our lives end for a couple months. Just kidding! Sort of....:)


3 comments:

Marissa said...

Yum, I'm loving the fresh produce we get each week. It's so yummy, and feels so healthy.

Amanda said...

I LOVE farmers markets. I have only been to the one in Provo, but every time we go, Jay wants to buy chickens.

Joanna said...

Isn't Animal, Vegetable, Miracle the greatest book? I read it a year ago and I think I'm ready to go through it again. I'm still working on finishing The Omnivore's Dilemma, but I'm not done yet.

I've been meaning to ask you about your motives for going meatless. Maybe I'll message you on Facebook.