Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Yard Landscaping

 When Bob and Sharon came to visit, we started the yard work.  There were no bushes or anything in front of the house.  So we planted these three Laurels.  The one on the end died.  So I transplanted the middle one to the end and put at Rhododendron in the middle to add some height variety.
 We decided to put in new grass.  The soil was very VERY compacted and filled with roots, rocks, broken dishes...etc.  It is crazy what you find in the soil.  Above is an example of one of the roots I dug out while preparing the soil for sod.  I used 3 saws, and a hatchet to get this one out.  This was just one of many:)
 Once we took out all the debris, roots, rocks and grass, we put on some nitrogen to prepare the soil for sod.

 New grass!!
 I am no landscape artist, but I like how this turned out.  The grass on the other side is our neighbors.  We were going to re-sod half of it, but thought it might look funny.
 The roots were so thick under the tree, and we knew grass wouldn't grow underneath it anyway...so I made this little path.  The neighbor kids (and our boys) love playing on it.  That is our neighbor, Giselle.
I also put up borders around the front beds, and got a divider to hide the AC unit.  I am really glad with how it turned out!

1 comment:

Marissa said...

That root is huge! That looks like so much work! And it looks beautiful now! Ryan is always complaining about our grass, but it is just bumpy. I'll have to show him pics of your grass, so he appreciates ours better. :)