My husband is an amazing, kind, and loving person...which is captured perfectly in this video.
Matthew works for and International Public Health firm. For part of his responsibilities, he was able to go to Mozambique for 2 weeks and help with a conference about AIDS education and prevention. He was very busy preparing for the conference and worked long hours. Going to this orphanage was not something that was done through his employer. He received outside funding and chose to go to an orphanage on his own time (a sunday afternoon) and find out what their needs were. Matthew has a huge heart and is literally ALWAYS thinking about anyone but himself.
I asked him how he was able to control himself when he saw all the children who were orphaned. I knew that if I were to see that, I would probably break down. It is so overwhelming to think about all that these children need, and is devastating. He told me something that I thought was so insightful. I'm sure he probably doesn't even remember, because this was from his last trip to Tanzania. But he told me that it wouldn't be fair to the children to cry uncontrollably and pity them. That doesn't help them, and it suddenly becomes about you. That is the last thing these children need. They need someone to be strong for them and help them with what they are able. These children specifically crave touch, and so Matthew was holding as many of them as he could. He was also able to provide other basic needs like Malaria bed nets, and new sheets.
More pictures to come...

2 comments:
All I can say is, you got a good one. Matthew is so sweet and that video is really touching.
Such a cute video. It just about breaks my heart. The kids look well taken care of.
Post a Comment