Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Travelling tips for children

This post is especially for all the mothers I know who have to travel by themselves with little ones. We have totally milked the "fly free under two" rule instituted by airlines. Believe it or not, little E and I have flown 10 TIMES in his mere 18 months of life. The majority of these trips I have been by myself. I have learned a couple things that have saved my life on a plane and I even got compliments from GRANDPARENTS!! That was huge for me, because I feel like they know all the tricks.

1-Pack toys that your child has never seen before.
This website: http://www.deliciousbaby.com/products/travel-toys/
has a great list for toddlers and babies. The ones that worked the best for us were: blue painters tape, (it can be stuck on many surfaces and peels off without leaving a sticky mess....then you just throw it away) pipe cleaners, and cheerios (the cheerios can be slid on and off the pipe cleaners for HOURS!!) window art-you know, the flat plastic pictures that stick on windows that are usually seasonal- (these can also be stuck on most surfaces and easy to clean up) books, and a ton of snacks that aren't messy.

Ethan was a champ on both flights to Utah. He didn't really sleep, but he was happy. I received SO many compliments!!

Another great tip from my brother and sister-in-law: let your child run like crazy and be the last one on the plane. It is kind of ridiculous that people just wait in line to get on and sit. It is literally a half and hour less to sit with a squirmy child.

P.S.- Matthew and I left at about the same time. I was on a plane for 6 hours, and slept all night in a cozy bed until 7 am this morning. He is STILL on a plane! 18 hours to Mozambique....no thanks.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Awesome tips! I'll have to call you for advice if we ever travel somewhere. :)