Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Security object

Security objects for children are awesome. When trying to soothe, comfort, and quiet, a familiar object works very well. I wear an undergarment beneath my clothing that is a silky material, as a part of my religious practice. Ethan has always been comforted by it. When he was a baby, and I would rock and sing to him at night, his hand would instantly reach into my shirt by my shoulder and collar bone for the sleeve of the garment. He would rub it between his fingers and on his cheek. It started getting a little awkward when he would pull at my underclothing in public, and so I cut up some of my tops so he could sleep with and use them as needed. He has even given it the name "Bahbahs". Not sure where that came from.

Also in the movie, I captured him saying "No, mom." I think it is funny.

3 comments:

Alisha Haight said...

Wow. My voice is REALLY high on this movie. I promise I don't always talk to E like he is a dog. I think I had performance anxiety.

Jamie said...

Okay, I have been blogstalking you for a while now off of Bubba's blog. This is Jamie Jacobs Hallewell from good ol PHS. I hope you don't mind.

Wow! I used to do the SAME thing growing up. I think it started when I was about Ethan's age. I eventually grew out of it, however I choose the same type of undergarment now so we'll never know.

One time we were on a family trip and I couldn't sleep. My dad had to take off his top while driving so I would calm down. My mom ended up making me a pair of silky purple (my fav. color at the time) pair of pajamas. I called everything silky a "nynee."

Alisha Haight said...

Jamie-
I am just replying to you here, because I can't figure out how to send a message just to you, since I couldn't see that you had a blog or e-mail that I could access. Hope you get this.

Thanks for commenting, and I am so happy to hear from you! I'm glad to know that E isn't the only one with the fixation. So funny.